TRIO Student Support Services
We are committed to providing excellent academic advising and access to financial literacy education, college tours, cultural events, and workshops to empower TRIO-SSS participants to thrive in higher education.
We will increase the retention, transfer and graduation rates of TRIO-SSS participants at The University of New Mexico-Taos by engaging participants in a student-centered environment to assist in the learning of strategies to navigate college more skillfully and reach degree completion.
TRIO-SSS is funded 100% by the Department of Education Federal TRIO Programs.
Triple Your Chances of Graduating
“Participants in the TRIO Student Support Services are three times as likely to earn a bachelor’s degree compared to their peers who receive a Pell Grant without TRIO services.” –Armesto, Edward J. and McElroy, Maria; TRIO and Upward Bound: History, Programs, and Issues-Past, Present, and Future; The Journal of Negro Education 1998
TRIO-Student Support Services (TRIO-SSS) offers:
- Transfer Advisement for a Certificate and/or Associate Degree
- Career Advisement
- College Success Workshops
- Financial Literacy
- 4-Year College Visits & Cultural Field Trips
- TRIO Study Space
- Community-Building Activities
- Student Leadership Opportunities
- Peer Tutoring
- Peer Mentoring
Peer mentoring is a unique and valuable learning experience for both mentee and mentor
- Connect and contribute to your campus community
- Develop leadership and mentoring skills
- Empower others to succeed
- Enrich your college experience
- Increase academic confidence
- Make new friends
- Take responsibility for your academic success
- Build a sense of campus belonging
- Master learning strategies
- Experience the satisfaction that comes from serving others
- Share experiences and insights with others
- Work with your own team of TRIO-SSS professionals and peers committed to YOUR success!
UNM-Taos Students Eligible for TRIO-SSS
Students enrolled in the first two years of either a Certificate or Associate Degree program and are either:
- From income-eligible families as described by the Dept of Ed. (If you qualify for a Pell Grant you could likely qualify for TRIO.)
- Or who are considered First Generation to go to college. Our TRIO grant defines First Generation as meaning that neither resident parent has completed a 4-year college degree. (Students whose parents have completed an Associate degree or Certificate still qualify as First Generation for our program.)
- Or students who have a documented disability.
- A U.S. citizen or meet residency requirements for federal student financial assistance.
As a federally funded US Department of Education grant program, a student must apply and meet eligibility guidelines to receive services from TRIO-SSS.