Veterans Upward Bound
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) at The University of New Mexico—Taos is the only veterans Federal TRiO Program funded by the United States Department of Education in the State of New Mexico. VUB is designed to assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of post-secondary education. The project provides assessment and enrichment of basic skills through instruction, advising, and tutoring. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete post-secondary education programs. All VUB services are free to eligible veterans.
We offer a unique range of services designed to prepare eligible veterans for success when they enter their chosen educational program, whether it is at a two-year community college, a four-year college or university, or a public or private vocational or technical school. All services, including instruction, textbooks, advising, and supplies, are provided FREE of charge.
Veterans Upward Bound Program offers a wide range of services for eligible Veterans in New Mexico.
- Intense Academic Skills Development for GED Completion and Admission to College
- Short-Term Refresher Courses in English, Mathematics, Science, Study Skills and Computer Literacy
- Special Services in Mathematics and Science Preparation to Enable Veterans to Make the Transition to Postsecondary Education
- Support Services for Veterans from Local Veterans Services Agencies
- Academic Support Services to Enhance Curriculum Mastery
- Activities to Enhance Learning Outcomes and Motivation for Success in College
Applicants who wish to be in the program must:
- Meet the low-income eligibility criteria as established by the US government
- Meet first-generation college status, i.e., parents do not have a bachelor's degree
- Must have served in the U.S. military for 181 days or more on active duty
- Must have a military discharge OTHER THAN dishonorable
- Show a need for academic support to successfully pursue a post-secondary education
Toll Free: 1-855-357-3725
Main Phone: 575.737.3725