Dual Credit

The following individuals are UNM-Taos' liaisons, they're located at the high schools listed below:

  • Email:
  • Audra Vigil - Mora High School
  • Ellie Bishop - Questa
  • Tomas Lopez - Mesa Vista
  • Julianna Matz- Taos High School
  • Cobey Senescu - Taos Academy
  • Angela Romero - Vista Grande

Download the Applications



UNM Taos

1157 County Road 110
Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557

Phone: (575) 737-6215

Facebook Twitter Photo Gallery 

Dual Credit


  • increase the educational options and opportunities for high school students
  • extend course availability
  • increase access to college credit-bearing courses


  • provide students an early glimpse of college life
  • encourage more students to consider higher education
  • accrue college credits while in high school

What the Research Says

Dual credit makes it more likely that you will:

  • finish high school and college better prepared for work and life
  • shorten the time it will take you to complete your degree
  • have the same opportunities as other students in the state,
    whether you live in an urban or rural region of New Mexico

What is the Statewide Dual Credit Program?
SB943 (2007) and SB31 (2008) create a dual credit program that allows public high school students in school districts, charter schools and state-supported schools in the state to earn both high school and college credit for qualifying dual credit courses.

What is a dual credit course?
Dual credit courses are courses taken for both high school and college credit while in high school. Courses must be academic or career technical in nature, which means they must apply toward a degree or certificate program. Remedial and developmental courses may not be taken for dual credit, since they do not count toward a degree or certificate program.

How is dual credit different from concurrent enrollment?
Dual credit courses accrue both high school and college credit.

Why is it important for all NM high school students to have access to dual credit courses?

Historically, not all students in the state have had the same opportunities to benefit from dual credit courses. The new Statewide Dual Credit Program offers a program to students throughout the state—whether you live in Farmington, Albuquerque or Hobbs.

How do I find out what courses are offered at my high school or local college?

Ask your high school counselor which agreements your school has signed with public colleges and universities in the state. Each high school will have at least one Dual Credit Agreement with a public college or university. The Agreement contains an Appendix with a list of courses you may be eligible to take for dual credit. In some cases, you may be able to take the course online.

What does it cost to participate in the dual credit program?
Everyone involved in the dual credit program bears some financial responsibility to participate. Public colleges and universities have agreed to waive tuition and general fees, secondary schools will provide textbooks and course supplies, and students and their families will be responsible for course fees and transportation. Students may ride on secondary school buses if the dual credit course takes place during regular school hours.

Why should I consider taking dual credit courses?
Students should take dual credit courses to experience college and accrue college credits while in high school. However, college courses are different from those you take in high school in that you learn more material in a shorter period of time.

How do I know if I am eligible to take dual credit courses?

  • To be eligible, each student must be enrolled in a public high school, charter school or states supported school in one-half or more of the minimum course requirements approved by the Public Education Department for public school students.
  • Students must also obtain secondary and post secondary approval through the Dual Credit Request Form, as well as meet course prerequisites for dual credit courses.
  • Finally, students must meet the academic standing established by the secondary school and public college or university.

How do I know if I am ready to take dual credit courses?
Talk to your high school counselor or teacher so he/she can help you determine if you will benefit from taking dual credit courses. Your Next Step Plan should also indicate whether you chose dual credit courses as an option. For ninth graders beginning in the 2009-2010 school year, students must take one honors, advanced placement, dual credit or distance learning course to graduate from high school.

How many classes can I/should I take?
This depends on your Next Step Plan, your prior coursework at the high school level, career pathway, and your academic readiness for college courses.

What if the dual credit course is too difficult?
Each student is responsible for following both high school and college calendars if he/she participates in the dual credit program. Each public college or university publishes deadlines to drop, add or withdraw from college courses, and the student must keep those dates in mind if he/she wishes to drop a course. But remember, if you drop, withdraw from, or fail a dual credit course, you still have to make up the high school graduation credit or requirement. 

Will the grades I receive in a dual credit course appear on my high school transcript?
Grades will appear on both student high school and college transcripts, which are permanent records.

Do I have to go to class if high school classes are canceled or the high school is having a day off due to an in-service or vacation?
Each student participating in the dual credit program must observe both high school and college calendars.

When can I take dual credit classes?
As long as you are enrolled in one-half or more of the minimum course requirements approved by PED for public school students during the fall and winter semesters, you can take dual credit courses year-round. You must also be academically eligible.

Do I have to fill out the Dual Credit Request Form each semester?
Yes. In order for the State of New Mexico to track the impact of the Statewide Dual Credit Program on students, secondary schools and public colleges and universities, each student must complete the form and gain approval to take dual credit each semester.

Where can I get the Dual Credit Request Form?

Secondary schools and public colleges and universities will make the Dual Credit Request Form available online and in hard copy.

Do I need a parent signature on the Dual Credit Request Form if I am 18 years old or more?
No. However, each student must still sign the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Release Form in order to participate in the Statewide Dual Credit Program. This will ensure that you receive both high school and college credit.

What costs am I responsible for as a student?

Students must return provided textbooks and unused course supplies to their high school, arrange transportation to the site of the dual credit course (especially if it occurs outside school hours) and pay for course specific fees.

What costs are the responsibility of eligible high schools and public colleges and universities?
Public school districts, charter schools and state supported schools are responsible for textbooks and other course supplies. Colleges and universities have agreed to waive tuition and general fees.

Will dual credit affect my future eligibility for the New Mexico Lottery Success scholarship?
Dual credit does not prevent students from being eligible for the Legislative Lottery Scholarship, as long as he/she obtains a New Mexico Diploma of Excellence or New Mexico GED and maintains an overall grade point average of 2.50 once enrolled as a full-time college student. When filling out college admissions applications, students must indicate they are a “first time freshman,” and on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that he/she indicate “never attended college,” and that he/she is a “first year undergraduate,” regardless of number of college credits accumulated while in high school.

Will the credit I am earning through dual credit transfer to other colleges or universities?
The Post secondary Education Articulation Act of 1978 specifies a core of general education courses that, if taken at any New Mexico public college or university, will transfer to any other New Mexico public college or university.