Advising: Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to see an Academic Advisor?
An Academic Advisor will guide you and make sure you are on the right path with your educational goals. 

How do I have a mandatory advisement hold removed?
You can make an appointment to speak with an Academic Advisor by calling 575-737-6202. 

How often should I see an advisor?
Students should meet with an Academic Advisor at least once per semester. 

How many credit hours do I need to take to be a full time student?
Students need to take a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and 6 during the summer to be considered full time. 

How do I know if a class is full?
You can search the class schedule by

  1. log on to
  2. Click on ‘select class schedule’ under ‘Academics’ at the bottom of the page.
  3. Select ‘Taos’
  4. Search the class listings for availability.

What is a course prerequisite?
A pre-requisite is a course that must be completed before enrolling in another course. 

What is a co-requisite?
A course that must or can be taken concurrently with a given course. 

How do I change majors/degree programs?
Fill out a Change of Status Form available at the Student Enrollment Office.

Link: Change of Status Form PDF Format

What is the difference between a Certificate and an Associate’s Degree?
A certificate is a 1-year program (may take longer depending on placement) intended to prepare a student for a specific area of study.  An Associate’s Degree is a two-year program (may take longer depending on placement) with academic requirements that not only focus on a specific area of study but also includes general academic basics that can be used towards a Bachelor’s Degree and Beyond. 

What do I do if I am on Academic Probation?
Make an appointment to see an Academic Advisor by calling (575) 737-6202. 

*How soon should I petition for graduation?
Students should petition the semester before the expected graduation date.   The established graduation petition deadlines are:

                  Summer Session                    April 1rst

                  Fall Semester                          June 1rst

                  Spring Semester                    Novembeer 1rst


*How do I become a part of the graduation ceremony?
Make an appointment to see an Academic Advisor by calling (575)737-6202.


What is a degree summary?
A degree summary will show what courses a student needs to take to complete a certificate/degree.  The summary will also show the requirements that have been completed, and those requirements yet to be completed.

What is a LOBO tracks degree audit?
A LOBO tracks degree audit is a computerized report that will show what courses a student needs to take towards the completion of a degree.  It also will show which courses have been transferred from another institution.

*What is the UNM Core-Curriculum?
The core curriculum is a list of ‘basic’ courses that can be used as a basis for the completion of many Associate’s Degrees and Bachelor’s Degrees.  They are courses that are also the most easily transferrable to other degree granting institutions.  PDF format

What resources does UNM-Taos have in order to help student’s succeed. 
*CASA-Free tutoring, Workshops, and COMPASS Placement Testing.

*ADVISING- Guidance to make sure you are on the right path with your educational goals.

*DEPARTMENT CHAIRS- Assistance for students so that they can obtain goals either professional or academic.

Offers Professional and Academic mentoring to students.

 No link provided yet.

The UNM-Taos Library is here to help you get the information you need to be successful in your educational pursuits and to supplement and support the learning process.

Encourages and supports student participation, advocates on behalf of students, builds constructive relationships among faculty, students, and community.

I would like to register for a class but the system says I am not yet a student.  What can I do?
Contact the Admissions Office at (575)737-6215. PDF Format