UNM Taos TRiO-SSS Mission
We are committed to providing excellent academic advising and access to financial literacy education, college tours, cultural events, and workshops to empower TRiO-SSS participants to thrive in higher education.
We will increase the retention, transfer and graduation rates of TRiO-SSS participants at The University of New Mexico-Taos by engaging participants in a student centered environment to assist in the learning of strategies to navigate college more skillfully and reach degree completion.
TRiO-SSS is funded 100% by the Department of Education Federal TRiO Programs.
Triple Your Chances of Graduating
“Participants in the TRiO Student Support Services are three times as likely to earn a bachelor’s degree compared to their peers who receive a Pell Grant without TRiO services.” –Armesto, Edward J. and McElroy, Maria; TRIO and Upward Bound: History, Programs, and Issues-Past, Present, and Future; The Journal of Negro Education 1998
TRiO-Student Support Services provides assistance to qualifying students at UNM-Taos
Qualifying students are either:
- From income-eligible families. (If you qualify for a Pell Grant you probably qualify for TRiO.)
- Or who are considered First Generation to go to college. Our TRiO grant defines First Generation as meaning that neither parent has completed a 4-year college degree. (Students whose parents have completed Associate’s or Certificates still qualify as First Generation for our program.)
- Or students who have a documented disability.
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet residency requirements for federal student financial assistance.
- Enrolled in either a Certificate or Associate Degree Program
As a federally funded US Department of Education grant program, a student must apply and meet eligibility guidelines to receive services from TRiO-SSS.