Catalog - Library
Located at 1157 County Road 110 Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557 Phone 575-737-6242
The Library is intended to supplement and support the teaching process. The Library is staffed by the Library Director, Assistant Librarian, Library Information Specialist, and student assistants. Library resources and services include circulation of books, audio and videocassettes, a pamphlet file, magazine, newspaper and journal subscriptions, electronic research databases and a strong interlibrary loan service. Reserve materials for your classes may be housed in the library.
The goal of the Library is to provide the resources and instruction for one to become a lifelong learner.
Who May Borrow Materials?
- Current students, faculty and staff
- Residents of Taos County with identification showing current address.
- Patrons who have a Library Passport Certificate from other New Mexico colleges and universities.
- Books may be borrowed for two weeks and renewed for an additional two weeks if there are no holds on that item. Faculty may also use their “faculty extended borrowing privileges” if an item is needed for the duration of the semester.
- Audiovisual materials may be borrowed for one week and renewed for another week if there are no holds on that item.
- Five items may be borrowed at one time.
- Magazines may be checked out for three days providing it is not the current issue. Newspapers and reference materials do not circulate.
- Materials we borrow from other libraries may be checked out for two weeks from
the date we receive the item.
- Renewals depend upon the loaning library. ILL items for renewal should be
brought back on or before the due date to be considered for renewal.
- The Library has electronic access to libraries all across the country so check with
the staff for any items you need.
- The interlibrary loan service is for current students, faculty, and staff only.
Direct Borrowing from Other Institutions
- Current students, faculty, and staff may obtain a Library Passport Certificate from the UNM-Taos library staff to use at any other New Mexico college or university library. This enables students to go to another academic library, do their research, and check out materials directly. This would be used only if you are doing research at that particular institution and wish to check out materials directly. Otherwise, you would request the material from your UNM-Taos Library to obtain through interlibrary loan.
- Current students, staff, and faculty must obtain a UNM e-mail account.
- Library staff can assist with the online application or you can go directly to the Internet address (http://netid.unm.edu).
- Be prepared to provide your date of birth, social security number, a login name (4-8 characters usually your name or nickname), and a password (6-8 characters using a combination of letters and/or numbers).
Learning Resource Center (LRC)
- The LRC is open to all current students, staff, and faculty. As space permits, patrons who can demonstrate current affiliation (i.e. student or faculty identification) with other academic institutions may have access to the LRC.
- The LRC computers offer word processing programs and other software applications offered as coursework.
- There is easy access to the Internet (World Wide Web searching), to LIBROS (online library catalog consortium including UNM Main Campus libraries,
UNM branches, and other regional academic libraries to find particular items), and research databases that offer access to articles from magazines, journals, and newspapers.
- In order to provide Information Literacy Instruction, the Library offers workshops on library research, course-related library instruction, and electronic information services.