Catalog - Admissions

Art Class

The University of New Mexico-Taos Campus admits all qualified New Mexico applicants. Within the limits of its resources, it also accepts qualified students from other states and foreign countries. Because of the great diversity of UNM-Taos's students, special applications and admissions procedures have been created to meet the needs of the different students served, including entering freshmen, transfer students, non-degree students, certificate students, associate degree students and unclassified students.


Application Procedure

Applications are required for:

* Students who have not previously attended UNM-Taos.

* Students who have not attended UNM-Taos for two semesters or more and are seeking re-admission.

* Students who are changing from non-degree status to degree seeking.

* Students changing from certificate programs to associate degree programs.

Application for admission must be turned in to the UNM-Taos Student Enrollment Department. The completed application is submitted with a $10.00 non-refundable one time only, application fee. Students must make arrangements for high school and college transcripts to be sent directly from their former educational institutions to Admissions, UNM-Taos,,1157 County Road 110, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557, when appropriate. The student,is responsible for verifying that UNM-Taos has received the transcripts. Non-degree students are not required to submit formal transcripts until they apply for degree status.

If more information is required, a notice will be sent to the student requesting the necessary information. Once all the necessary information is received and the student is found in good standing, a notice will be sent informing the student of acceptance. Because of processing time, recommended application deadlines for degree status are: 1st week of June for fall semester, 1st week of November for spring semester, and mid-April for summer session.


UNM-Taos Admissions Requirements

 1. Associate of Science / Associate of Applied Science / Associate of Arts Degree

  • UNM-Taos admissions application
  • $10.00 non-refundable one time only, application fee
  • High school / GED official transcript
  • Official college transcript (if applicable)


2. Certificate

  • UNM-Taos admissions application
  • $10.00 non-refundable one time only, application fee
  • High school / GED official transcript
  • Official college transcript (if applicable)


3. Non-Degree

  • UNM-Taos admissions application
  • $10.00 non-refundable one time only, application fee


4. Unclassified

  • UNM-Taos admissions application
  • $10.00 non-refundable one time only, application fee
  • Be at least 18 years of age and not in high school


5. High School Dual Credit Option

The High School Dual Enrollment Program includes academic and vocational programs. Its purpose is to award a select number of high school students the opportunity to take University courses (above the Basic Skills level) and to earn college credit while they are still enrolled in high school. It is up to the college or University that the student plans to attend to determine if credit is given for both high school and college for courses taken as a dual-credit student. UNM-Taos allows the credit to be used toward high school graduation as well as earned college credit. Students should work with their high school counselor to determine an individual high school's acceptance policy of courses toward graduation. Students are free to choose any course as long as prerequisites have been met.

Students should familiarize themselves with University policies and procedures regarding grading, attendance, drops and withdrawals. College catalogs are available at regional and local high schools and at UNM-Taos.

Qualified high school freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors may be considered for dual enrollment while simultaneously attending high school, or they may take college courses during the summer between the junior and senior years.

The following requirements must be met:

a)     The student must be a high school student

b)    The student must have the certification of and an unconditional signed recommendation form from the high school counselor before each semester of participation.

c)     The high school must provide the Admissions Office at UNM-Taos with an official transcript.

d)    The student's cumulative grade point average must be 2.5 or better on a 4.0 Scale, for academic courses.

The $10.00 application fee is not required for dual enrollment. High school students other than those in their senior year may be considered but only in very exceptional cases.

5. Dual Enrollment-Vocational and Career-Technical Program

UNM-Taos offers a dual enrollment program for students who wish to explore occupational options. This Vocational and Career-Technical education program is available for currently enrolled high school students. Eligible students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and have the approval of both a parent and a high school counselor.

At registration, the student should submit the following items to the UNM-Taos Registrar's Office for approval:

  1. a completed application;
  2. a completed Vocational and Career-Technical Program enrollment recommendation form with student, counselor, and principal's signatures, and
  1. an official high school transcript.

Once approved, the student is eligible to register during regular registration periods. Students must check with their particular high schools as to whether individual high schools will accept the Vocational and Career-Technical program courses toward graduation requirements.

International Students

All international students must show proof of health insurance coverage before they will be allowed to register.

International students are not eligible to be classified as residents for tuition purposes.

All international students on visas other than student visa must provide copies of their current visa to the UNM-Taos Admissions Office prior to registration. Check with the UNM-Taos registrar for the appropriate documentation that is required.

International students seeking a student visa need to contact UNM's International Admissions Office in Albuquerque at (505) 277-5829.

New UNM-Taos students who have attended other colleges may enroll in degree, nondegree, or unclassified status. Official transcript evaluations are available for students who are enrolling in degree status. Transcripts must be sent from each institution attended. Students should allow one semester for an evaluation to be completed. To have a transcript from another college evaluated, a student should apply for degree status in a UNM-offered program, submit a $10.00 application fee and request that official copies of his/her transcript be sent from all previously attended colleges to the Admissions Office, UNM-Taos, 1157 County Road 110, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557. For students applying for the next academic session while still enrolled at another institution, the official transcript must include listing of courses in progress as well as all completed work. An official evaluation of the transcript will be prepared only if the above procedures are followed.

Applications will not be processed until all required items are on file in the Admissions Office.

To allow students at other institutions to make definite plans for transfer, a determination of admission status may be made before courses in progress are completed, subject only to receipt of the final transcript.

Students permitted to register before receipt of their final transcripts may be dis-enrolled if their transcripts do not reach the UNM Admissions Office within three weeks after the beginning of classes.

Students must indicate on their applications all previous college attendance. Applicants may not ignore previous college attendance, even though they may prefer to repeat all previous courses. Students found guilty of non-disclosure or misrepresentation in filling out admission application forms are subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from UNM-Taos.

Academic credits for courses completed at other post-secondary institutions can be transferred to UNM-Taos if:

1. a grade of C or better was earned in the course,

2. the post-secondary institution is appropriately accredited, and

3. UNM or UNM-Taos offers a course deemed equivalent by the appropriate department chair.


Other Ways to Earn Academic Credit

1. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit

UNM grants general credit for qualifying scores on CLEP General Examinations before earning 26 credit hours toward a baccalaureate degree or 12 hours toward an associate degree at UNM-Taos. Policies vary for application of CLEP general credit toward degrees in individual colleges at UNM. UNM-Taos allows 12 CLEP general and subject credit toward associate degrees (6 hours toward certificate program). Additional information about these credits can be obtained by referring to the (main campus) UNM Catalog or by consulting UNM-Taos Academic Advisors.

 2. College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement and CLEP

Subject Examinations. UNM grants credit to students who achieve satisfactory scores on a number of the CLEP Subject Examinations and CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations. Please consult the (main campus) UNM Catalog or the UNM-Taos Academic Advisors for information.

3. Military Credits

Credit for service training and experience is granted on the basis of measured educational achievement in conformity with the procedures recommended by North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and the American Council on Education. A veteran student who is eligible for educational benefits under one of the public laws or who has served on active duty for at least one calendar year after July 26, 1946, must apply for such credit in the Office of Admissions during the first semester of enrollment in regular status at UNM- Taos. Please consult the UNM Catalog or the UNM-Taos advisors for information.

4. Correspondence Courses

Independent study is available through correspondence courses. Students should contact UNM's Division of Continuing Education at (505) 277-2631 for a current catalog. A maximum of nine semester hours may be used toward an associate degree.

5. Examination to Establish or Validate Credit (Challenge a Course)

Only students admitted to or enrolled in regular degree status may, with appropriate approval from UNM or UNM-Taos departments, take an examination to establish or to validate credit. These students may not have been previously enrolled in the course at UNM or UNM-Taos.

The procedure is as follows:

A permit will be issued by the UNM-Taos Registrar. The student must then pay a fee of

$10.00 per credit hour and must submit the permit to the person who will administer the examination. Once the examination has been administered and graded, the instructor will complete the form and will submit it to the UNM-Taos Registrar's Office.

Examination to establish credit may be taken only during the period of the week before classes begin through the ending date of the semester or summer session. Credit will be allowed and will be placed on the student's permanent record as of the semester in which the examination is completed and will not count in the student's grade point average prior to the completion of that semester. Only grades of C or better will be recorded as a CR (credit). If the student does not earn a grade of C or better, a second examination for that course will not be permitted.

6. Technical Credit

Under special circumstances, students may receive credit for technical courses that are not normally transferable to UNM. Students who have earned technical credit that they believe may be applicable to their specific degree programs can request a review of that credit by the department chairperson or program director. An interview or demonstration of competence, or both, may be required before a decision regarding credit is made. Acceptance of technical credit is binding only to the specific department or program recommending the credit.

7. Training Credit

Credit for non-collegiate training programs is graded based on recommendations of the American Council of Education's "National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs". Official records must be supplied to the UNM Admissions Office by the appropriate source.

8. Concurrent College Enrollment

Prior to enrolling concurrently in residence or by extension or correspondence in another collegiate institution, students should verify with the Admissions Office and their college advisors to ensure acceptance of the transfer credits.


Introductory Studies Courses

Entering freshmen whose ACT scores or UNM-Taos placement exam scores indicate a need for college preparatory course work, or entering freshmen with deficiencies in admission requirements, may be required to take Introductory Studies courses before entering their individual programs. These courses include ISE 098, ISE 099, ISE 100 and ISR 100, Math 099, Math 100. General University credit will be granted for these skills courses, but they are not accepted toward UNM-Taos associate degree programs or toward UNM degree programs. Students who are enrolled in degree or certificate programs may receive financial aid for remedial coursework, with a limit of no more than 30 hours.


Resident Status in New Mexico

Established by the NM Higher Education Department (HED Rule 910)

Effective Fall 1996

All students are classified according to their residency status for tuition purposes. Any student wishing to change from nonresident to resident classification must petition through the Registrar's Office, as of the 21st day from the start of the semester. New students must change their residency status through the Admissions Office. 

To become a legal resident of New Mexico for tuition purposes, four basic requirements must be completed. Each person must meet the requirements individually.

 1. The 12-month Consecutive Residency Requirement. A person must physically reside in the state for the twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the resident classification is requested. Note: Students must be 19 years old to establish their own residency.

2. The Financial Independence Requirement. Only persons who are financially independent may establish residency apart from parents or guardians. A student cannot be approved for residency who is financially dependent upon his/her parents or guardians who are nonresidents of New Mexico. Dependency is always based on the previous tax year for residency purposes. If under the age of 23 at the time the student applies for residency, a copy of his/her parents' or guardians' 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous tax year must be submitted with the application to verify this status. If the student is shown to be a dependent on this tax form, he/she will not be considered financially independent during the current year. 

3. The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement. The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in any other state and establish it in New Mexico.

4. The Overt Acts Requirement. New Mexico requires the completion of several "overt" acts, which support the student's written declaration of intent to become a permanent resident. The student must meet the requirement of all of the overt acts listed in this section unless they can sufficiently demonstrate why they are unable to do so. The required overt acts are:

1)    If employed, evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;

2)    If employed in New Mexico, evidence of payment of New Mexico state income tax;

3)    A New Mexico driver's license;

4)    A New Mexico vehicle registration; and,

5)    Voter registration in New Mexico.


NOTE: Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident--such as voting, securing and/or maintaining a driver's license or automobile registration in another state, etc.--will cause the petition to be denied.

Active duty military stationed in New Mexico, their spouses and dependents, are eligible for waivers for nonresident tuition. A form must be submitted to obtain this waiver.

* The spouse and dependent children of a person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full-time employment (sufficient documentation is required) shall not be required to complete the twelve month durational requirement. However, all other requirements must be satisfied.


Senior Citizens Reduced Tuition

Senior Citizen Rate: Senior citizens may take classes for nominal tuition. To qualify for

the Senior Citizen tuition rate you must:

  • be age 65 or older;
  • be a New Mexico resident as defined by the Residency Classification Office;
  • register for no more than six credit hours;
  • register on or after the first day of classes.

Senior citizens (persons 65 years or over) are eligible for reduced tuition under the

Senior Citizen Reduces Tuition Act, which is outlined below.

1. Senior tuition is $5.00 per credit hour. (For current tuition rates, please visit Any additional course-specific fees will be paid at regular rate. Lab fees and facility fees will be charged at the regular rate.

2. The maximum number of hours for which a senior citizen may enroll with the reduced rate is six. A senior citizen who enrolls for seven or more hours must pay the full regular rate for all hours, not just the seventh and beyond.

3. Senior citizens enrolling under the provisions of this act will be enrolled on a space available basis. After the close of regular registration, students will be contacted to register during the first week of classes. No late fee will be charged.

4. Senior citizen enrollment in a class cannot be considered in determining the minimum number of students required to "make" a class. The University may restrict the senior citizen enrollment in a class to 10% of the total students enrolled for a particular class. 

5. Senior citizens enrolling under provision of this act are expected to meet all course requirements and are eligible for all grading options, including audit status, as permitted by the institution. 

6. Senior citizens are expected to comply with all the rules, and regulations and policies of the institution, specifically in relation to dropping courses, withdrawing from courses, transaction deadlines, and academic standing (probation/suspension).

 7. Students registering under the provisions of this act are expected to comply with all admission requirements that pertain to the classification for which they apply, including fees, deadlines, and the submission of credentials.

8. Senior citizens will be entitled to all rights and privileges of enrolled students, including the issuance of an ID card, the use of the library, and access to other campus facilities according to campus regulations pertaining to full-time versus part-time students.

Tuition Refund Schedule

Tuition will be refunded in accordance with the following schedule: 

* Course duration greater than eight weeks up to and including sixteen weeks:

Withdrawal and drop in paid hours:

Prior to first day of classes and through Friday of third week of classes: 100%

First day of fourth week of classes and thereafter: 0%


* Course duration greater than four weeks up to and including eight weeks:

Withdrawal or drop in paid hours:

Prior to first day of class and through Friday of second week of classes: 100%

First day of third week of classes and thereafter: 0%


* 4 Week (or fewer) Courses:

Withdrawal or drop in paid hours:

First day of classes: 100%

After first day of classes: 0%

All refunds are based on the date of the drop or withdrawal. To receive a tuition refund, students must go to Student Affairs, complete the drop procedures for their courses and then contact the Business Office.

All refunds will be mailed by the end of the fourth week of the session or by the end of the sixth week of the semester. When classes are cancelled by the institution, students may make changes to their schedules during the first week of the session or semester. After the one-week period, any student who has not made a change will be issued a refund automatically. 

Readmission to the University

A UNM or UNM-Taos degree student who stops attending for two or more regular semesters must file an application for readmission, although the application fee is not required again. Students applying for readmission must meet the regular application deadlines. Official transcripts of any college work attempted during the absence must be submitted to the Registrar at UNM-Taos before re-admission can proceed. The transcripts should also list courses in progress if the student is taking non-UNM courses at the time of application. Although these transcripts would not show final grades, the UNM Admissions office will let the student know his/her admission status so plans can be made subject only to the final transcript being received by the Admissions Office not later than three weeks after classes begin. Although credit earned during suspension from UNM will not be accepted for transfer, attendance at another institution during suspension must be indicated on student's application for re-admission, and an official transcript must be furnished. Students will be readmitted to a degree program only if previous UNM work was in degree status unless a degree has subsequently been earned. Students in non-degree status must also reapply if they have not attended for one or more semesters as long as the 30-credit-hour limit is not exceeded.

Current program requirements will be in effect for students who are readmitted after an absence of one or more semesters.

Change of Name

Students who need to process a change of name for their academic records must bring appropriate documentation (at least two types of identification showing the new name) to the Student Affairs Department. Examples of such documentation are: marriage certificate, birth certificate, or court order for legal name change. Name changes will be processed for enrolled students only. 


The Records Office issues advisement copies of UNM student records. Official copies may be requested either online at

The following information is needed in order to process a request by mail: student name, (all names used while at UNM) social security number, date of birth and dates of attendance. The student's signature is required to authorize the release of any transcript. A fee is charged for all official transcripts. Transcripts from other institutions that are sent to UNM for purposes of admission are not copied or returned to the student.

 Transcript Holds

No official transcript will be released to the student or any other person or institution until all the student's outstanding financial obligations to the university have been paid or until satisfactory arrangements have been made. These obligations include, but are not limited to, loans, such as the New Mexico Student Loan Program, library fines, tuition and fees, and other charges. All financial arrangements are handled in the Bursar's Office, (505) 277-5363. Transcripts may also be held for non-financial reasons such as incomplete admission status.

Grade Notification

Students can access semester grades online via If a hard copy is desired, it can be obtained by visiting the Student Affairs Department at 1157 County Road 110.