Catalog - Academic Rules Regulations

Art Class

Students are solely responsible for their own compliance with UNM-Taos and UNM regulations and are thus advised to familiarize themselves with the regulations listed below.

 Class Hours and Credit Hours
A class hour generally consists of 50 minutes. One class hour per week of lecture throughout a semester generally earns a maximum of one credit hour. One credit hour of laboratory usually meets for 2-1/2 hours per week. The student should expect 3 hours of study time per credit hour enrollment.

Grades and Grade Point Average
The grades awarded in all courses are indicative of the quality of work done. Grade points are shown below:

A+ 4.33

A 4.00 - Excellent

A- 3.67

B+ 3.33

B 3.00 - Good

B- 2.67

C+ 2.33

C 2.00 - Satisfactory

C- 1.67

D+ 1.33

D 1.00 - Barely Passing

D- 0.67

F 0.00 – Failing 

CR - Credit Gives credit for the course but is not computed in the scholarship index. At the graduate level, CR is used to report completion of master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. CR credit is the equivalent of at least a grade of C but is not computed in scholarship index.

NC - No Credit Not computed in scholarship index. At the graduate level, NC is used to report unsatisfactory completion of master's thesis or doctoral dissertation.

PR - Progress (Selected courses only): This grade indicates that a student has made progress but has not met achievement requirements of the course and is not able to advance to the next level course. No honor points are earned, and the credit is not computed in the GPA, nor is it counted toward graduation. Students may earn progress grade only once, they must then earn a letter grade: A, B, C, D or F.

I (Incomplete) The grade of I is given only when circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of the work of a course with official dates of a session. (see Resolving Incomplete Grade on page 22.)

Audit - Audit is recorded for completion of enrollment in an audited course. No credit is earned for audit grade option.

A student's academic standing is defined in terms of a grade point average obtained by dividing the total number of grade points earned at UNM-Taos by the total number of hours attempted. These hours must be attempted in courses with letter grades and courses numbered 100 or above. Hours given a grade of WP, CR, NC, or I are not included in the computation.

With respect to scholarships, the standing of all students (including those who withdraw from the University during the session) is checked at the end of each semester and summer session. All students who are deficient in scholarship are placed on probation or are suspended.

Dean's List
Students who are enrolled in a UNM-Taos associate degree program for eight credit hours or more and who earn a grade point average of 3.5 or higher for the semester will be recognized for their academic achievement by being named to the Dean's List.

Incomplete Grade
According to academic policy, no "I" can be outstanding for a student who is graduating from The University of New Mexico. The grade of "I" is given only when circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of the course work within the official dates of a session.

Students should not enroll in or reregister (for credit) in a course for which an Incomplete has been received in order to resolve the Incomplete.

If an instructor requires the student to repeat the class in order to resolve the Incomplete, the student must register for the course on an audit basis.

Incomplete grades must be resolved by the published ending date of the next semester in attendance or within the next four semester if the student does not re-enroll in residence.

An Incomplete may be resolved even though a student is not enrolled in the residence. Incomplete grades not resolved within the time frames stated in this policy will be converted automatically to F (failure).

Therefore, students resolving Incompletes in their semester of graduation must have the process completed (including the reporting of the grade to the Records and Registration Office) by the date. Students are responsible for informing instructors that they are graduating and that the resolved grade(s) must be reported by the appropriate deadline.

Failure to complete the process as described could result in the postponement of graduation until the following semester.

Resolving Incomplete Grade
Students are responsible for making arrangements with the instructor for resolving an Incomplete grade. Students must complete work prescribed by Incomplete grade. Students must complete work prescribed by the instructor in sufficient time for the resolved grade to be reported to the Records and Registration Office by the appropriate deadlines described above.

The instructor of record will report the final grade for the course in which the Incomplete was assigned to the Records and Registration Office.

Grade Option

1. Credit/No Credit Grade Option

This grading option is open only to undergraduate and non-degree students enrolling in

non-major courses.

To receive a CR (credit), the student must earn at least a grade of a C. Students who do not satisfactorily complete a course under CR/NC grading will received NC (no credit). A course may be changed from a traditional grade to CR/NC that will be allowed toward a baccalaureate degree and 12 credit hours graded CR/NC will be allowed toward an associate degree. No courses in the core areas of degree programs may be taken for CR/NC. (The 12-hour limit also applies to the associate degree in Liberal Arts.) Hours earned for courses in which grading is specifically approved for CR/NC are not included in the 24-hour maximum allowed toward degree requirements under the CR/NC grade option.

2. Audit

A student may register in a course for audit, provided permission of the instructor is obtained and space is available. An auditor who fails to attend class may be dropped at the instructor's request. The fee for audited courses is the same as for credit courses. Audit enrollment receives no credit and is not included in the student's total course load for purposes of enrollment certification.

Instructor permission will be required before registering in a course for audit through the first two weeks of classes. No permission from the instructor is required to change to audit status during the third and fourth week of classes. No changes in audit status may be made after the fourth week of classes (second week during summer session). Courses taken for audit may be repeated for credit.

Change of Grade
The instructor of a course is responsible for reporting grades. Once a grade is reported it may be changed by submitting a grade change online. Only the instructor who issued the original grade (instructor of record) may submit a change. The change of grade must also be approved by the college dean or departmental chairperson, if submitted 30 days after the end of the semester. Any change in grade must be reported within 12 months after the original grade was issued and prior to graduation. Grade changes may be referred to the Admissions and Registration Committee for approval. Procedures for Changes in Enrollment in 16-, 8- and 6-Week Classes Students withdrawing from six-week classes follow the same procedures for withdrawal from eight-week (summer session) classes.

Detailed procedures for accomplishing change in a student's program are available at the UNM-Taos Student Affairs and include the following:

1. Program changes (adds, s, and section changes) must be initiated by the student in the UNM-Taos Student Affairs Office, and appropriate forms must be filled out.

2. A course may be added to the student's program until the end of the second week of the semester (or the first week in the summer session).

3. A student may drop a course or courses until the end of the sixth week of the semester (or until the end of the third week of the summer session). Grades will not be required, and courses will not appear on the student's academic record if the course is dropped before the deadline given above.

4. A student may withdraw from a course between the end of the sixth week and the end of the twelfth week of a semester (or between the end of the third week and the end of the sixth week during the summer session). During this period, no approvals are required. Course withdrawals after the end of the twelfth week during a semester (and after the end of the sixth week during a summer session) require the approval of the UNM-Taos Registrar and/or the Dean of Instruction. This approval is limited to hardship cases involving circumstances beyond the student's control. No withdrawals will be accepted during closed week (final examination week).

5. All changes in sections must be made before the end of the second week of the semester (or the first week of the summer session).


6. No change in grading option in any course may be made after the fourth week of the semester (or the second week of the summer session).

7. The student is responsible for the completion of every course for which he/she has registered. If he or she drops a course at any time without complying with the procedures described above and without filling out the appropriate forms, a grade of F in the course will be received, even though the student may be passing the course up to the time of leaving.

Procedures for Changes in Enrollment in 4-week (or less) Classes

1. Program changes (adds, drops, and section changes) must be initiated by the student in the UNM-Taos Registrar's Office and appropriate forms filled out.

2. A course may be added to the student's program or a section may be changed during the first two days of classes only. This policy is in effect when 4-week classes begin during a regular semester or session. Students may add classes or change sections for the same period of time regularly allowed (2 weeks) unless the class they are considering is another 4-week class. In this case, a student may only add a class or change sections during the first two days of classes.

3. A student may change a grading option during the first week of class.

4. A student may drop a class without a grade until the end of the second week.

5. A student may withdraw from a class during the third week with a W. 

Attendance and Withdrawal Policy
Individuals attending classes at UNM-Taos must be officially registered students. The student is expected to attend all meetings of his/her classes, unless excused by the instructor. Instructors will keep record of class attendance and may report excessive absences to the UNM- Taos Early Alert Program. A student who is absent without an approved excuse from final examinations or other closing exercises of his/her classes may be given a grade of F. An instructor has the right to drop any student for excessive absences. Instructors can determine what is considered to be an excessive absence; most instructors use a guideline of 3 absences for a 3 credit hour course. At their discretion, instructors can initiate automatic withdrawals via LoboWeb. A grade of W will be assigned. Attendance problems and legitimate reasons for absences should, therefore, be discussed immediately with the instructor. A student may initiate a "drop" or withdrawal up until the end of the twelfth week (or the end of the sixth week during a summer session). The appropriate forms must be filled out at the UNM-Taos Student Affairs Office. Withdrawals initiated after the end of the sixth week (or the end of the third week during the summer session) are subject to grades of W, assigned by the instructor. Withdrawals initiated after the twelfth week of a semester (or the sixth week of a summer session) requires the approval of the UNM-Taos Dean of Instruction and are for hardship cases only. A student who fails to attend class or who does not carry out withdrawal according to the above procedure (i.e., filling out a withdrawal form) may be assigned an F at the end of the semester, even though the student may be passing the course at the time of leaving. Students should advise instructors of their intended withdrawal and their actual withdrawal date.

Probation and Suspension Policy

Academic Probation Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing and that they may be suspended. Undergraduate students who have 30 or fewer attempted hours must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 1.70 to be in good standing. Thereafter, a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 is required to remain in good standing. 

Students not meeting the minimum academic requirements will be placed on academic probation for one semester. Students on academic probation will be sent a letter informing them of their probationary status.

Students are placed on probation at the end of any semester (including summer session) in which their cumulative GPA falls below these minimum requirements. Two consecutive semesters of probationary status will result in academic suspension.

Academic probation is not a penalty, but an empathic warning that the quality of your work must improve if you are to attain the GPA necessary to graduate from UNM-Taos. Students on academic probation will be required to develop a student success plan and sign a contract indicating that they will.


Areas covered in this plan may include, but are not limited to:

  • Limit on credit hours taken per semester
  • Utilizing the CASA Tutoring Services
  • Enrolling in UNIV 101
  • Developing a long term degree plan
  • Only enrolling in courses that count towards your degree
  • and other areas that you and your advisor identify as ways to ensure your success

Second Chance
Students placed on probation may be continued on probation, if they substantially raise the cumulative grade point average and are making reasonable progress in meeting degree requirements. “Substantially raise the cumulative grade point average”  is defined as earning a semester grade point average of at least 2.5. “Reasonable progress” is defined as at least one-half of the student’s course load being courses (exclusive of Introductory Studies courses) which apply towards the student’s major, minor or group requirements. If these conditions are not met, the student is suspended from the University of New Mexico-Taos.


Academic Suspension
Students suspended for the first time will not be allowed to enroll for one semester. Student suspended for a second time will not be allowed to enroll for two consecutive semesters. Students suspended for a third time may not enroll for a period of five academic years.

At the end of the suspension period, a student must apply for readmission to UNM-Taos with a written petition addressed to the Director of Student Affairs. All petitions for readmission or revocation of suspension must be received by the Student Affairs Department, no later than one week prior to the start of the semester in which the student wishes to return.

UNM-Taos prefers not to look on academic suspension as a penalty for failure, but as an opportunity to deal with the pressures of life and school, which may have contributed, to the low grades, which brought on a period of suspension.


1. Summer sessions are counted with the following Fall semester for purposes of this policy, e.g., a student suspended at the end of a Spring semester may not attend either the following Summer session or Fall semester.

2. Students absent from the University for a year or more, for suspension and/or any other reason, must reapply for admission to the University.

3. Students who are accepted for readmission after academic suspension will be readmitted on academic probation in the accepting college.

4. UNM-Taos may specify the number of hours for which a student may enroll following a suspension. UNM-Taos may also require students to drop hours or courses that seem beyond their abilities.

5. Attendance at another institution during suspension must be indicated on the student's application for readmission and an official transcript must be sent to the Office of Admissions as part of the reapplication. 


Enrollment Limit
Without special college approval, undergraduates may not take more than 20 semester hours during regular semesters and 10 semester hours during summer session. 

Examinations other than final examinations may be given during each course at the discretion of the instructor. Final examinations are given at the end of each course during the final examination period (the last week of the semester). Only under exceptional circumstances may a student take the final examination at a time other than the officially scheduled time.

Repetition of a Course
A student may repeat any course but will receive credit only once. (This does not apply to courses noted "may be repeated more than once."). ALL ATTEMPTS AND ALL GRADES are computed in the student's grade point average. Effective Spring Semester 1991, any course acceptable toward an undergraduate degree can be repeated on time for improvement of grade. Attempted courses remain on the UNM record; however, a student will receive credit only once. Only 12 hours of course work may be repeated for grade improvement. This process is NOT automatic. A student must notify the Student Affairs Department when a course has been repeated to improve a grade point average.

 NOTE: No repeated course will be allowed for grade improvement after a degree has been awarded. Courses taken prior to spring 1991 will NOT be considered the first attempt. The first attempt must be in spring 1991 or after.

Academic Renewal Policy
Academic Renewal applies to students seeking undergraduate degrees who have been readmitted to UNM after an absence of 5 years or more. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request that his/her academic record be reviewed for the purpose of evaluating previously earned UNM credits and recalculating the student's grade point average from the point of readmission.

The student may obtain a petition from the Registrar's Office. If all criteria are met, the petition will be approved and the academic record appropriately noted.

Academic Renewal Guidelines
NOTE: Readmission to the university and acceptance in a degree program must occur prior to Academic Renewal.

1. Academic Renewal may be applied only once and is not reversible.

2. A period of five or more years must have elapsed between readmission and the last enrollment at UNM. (NOTE: Readmission to the University and acceptance in a degree program must occur prior to Academic Renewal.)

3. The student must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking status. Additionally, college entrance requirements such as minimum hours and grade point average (GPA) must still be met after the effect of Academic Renewal. (NOTE: Academic Renewal will not be applied if total earned credits should fall below the minimum for entrance to the student's academic unit.)

4. At least 12 credit hours, but no more than 36 credit hours, must be completed in good standing (2.00 GPA or better) since readmission before Academic Renewal can be applied. (NOTE: Probationary status is determined by the degree-granting unit and is not automatically changed by Academic Renewal.)

5. All graduation requirements must be satisfied after Academic Renewal i.e., minimum earned credit, residence credit requirement, cumulative grade point average, etc.
(NOTE: Credit earned prior to Academic Renewal will not count toward satisfying the residence credit requirements.)

6. All courses taken prior to Academic Renewal will remain unaltered on the record. An appropriate notation will be added to the record to indicate Academic Renewal. Courses with a grade of C or CR or better-taken prior to Academic Renewal will be carried forward as earned credits. Acceptability of these credits towards a degree will be determined by the degree-granting unit.

7. Courses with grade of D or below taken prior to Academic Renewal will be noted and will not count for earned credits or for satisfying any graduation requirements.

8. Academic Renewal, when applied, will be effective as of the date of the re-admission following the five-year absence.

9. The cumulative grade point average after academic renewal will be calculated on the basis of courses taken since the readmission following the five-year absence.

Academic Rights and Responsibilities of Students
The University of New Mexico has established policies regarding student's educational records, academic integrity, grievances, classroom conduct, and identification. Complete texts of these policies may be found in the Student Handbook available at the UNM-Taos Student Affairs Office.

Academic Records Policy
The Office of Admissions and Records is responsible for the maintenance of the educational records at UNM-Taos. These include but are not limited to, student transcripts, academic folders, and faculty grade reports. The following information refers to some of the policies and procedures for educational records.

Access to and Confidentiality of Records
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) November 19, 1974.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the records(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student as to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff), a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent), a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605


Students who wish to have "directory information" withheld may submit a written request for such status to the Student Enrollment Department. Such request must be made by the end of late registration for any semester and remain in effect until withdrawn in writing by the student.

Copies of information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Student Enrollment Department. 

Student Grievance Procedure
UNM-Taos uses as a guideline the current UNM Student Standards and Grievance Procedures, which provide procedures for the resolution of disputes between students and faculty or staff of the University as well as procedures for handling student disciplinary matters. Modifications are made to various roles due to a different administrative structure at the center. The following categories of disputes or disciplinary matters are provided for and detailed information regarding the procedures to be followed is listed in the Student Handbook available online at . Any questions about these procedures should be directed to the Director of Enrollment Services. The categories included are: Academic Disputes

Dishonesty in Academic Matters

Disciplinary Matters

Academic Record Disputes

The UNM Affirmative Action Office has been given responsibility for overseeing UNM's policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, or physical handicap.

Honesty in Academic Matters
Each student is expected to maintain the highest standards of honesty and integrity in academic and professional matters. The University reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including dismissal, against any student who is found to be responsible for academic dishonesty or who otherwise fails to meet the standards. Any student who has been judged to have engaged in academic dishonesty in course work may receive a reduced or failing grade for the work in question and/or for the course. Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to: cheating or copying, committing plagiarism (claiming credit for the words or works of another person), fabricating information or citations, facilitating acts of academic dishonesty by others, having unauthorized possession of examinations, submitting work previously used without informing the instructor, tampering with or hindering the academic work of other students, and misrepresenting academic or professional qualifications within or outside the university.

Use of Social Security Number
The University of New Mexico uses the individual student's social security number as the student's identification at the University. This number is used for record-keeping purposes only and is not disclosed to other parties for any purpose without written authorization from the student. The authority to use the social security number comes from the Board of Regents and was adopted March 14, 1967, prior to the Federal Privacy act of 1975. It is, therefore, mandatory that a student disclose the social security number to the University for identification purposes. 

Student Identification Cards
All students will be issued a free student identification card after registration. This card is required in order to provide identification for the use of campus facilities. If the card is lost or stolen students may be issued a replacement card for a $15.00 fee the first time and a $25.00 fee after the second replacement. Damaged fee or name change is a $10.00 fee.

Classroom Conduct
The classroom instructor is responsible for all classroom conduct, behavior, and discipline; any action that would disrupt or obstruct an academic activity is prohibited. Classroom activities should be positive learning experiences. Students and instructors are expected to display adult behavior, i.e., in a courteous and civil manner. It is further expected that in an adult and University community all persons will conduct themselves in a manner befitting the serious pursuit of higher education. Use of classrooms or other facilities during scheduled activities is limited to enrolled students and to University personnel. Use of these facilities during non- scheduled periods should be arranged with the Office of Instruction. A rental schedule, with rental policies and procedures, is available at the UNM-Taos Office of Instruction. 

Eating and Drinking in the Classroom
Food and beverages are prohibited in the UNM-Taos classrooms, laboratories, and facilities.

Food may be consumed in the UNM-Taos Student Lounge(s), or cafeteria located in El Pueblo Hall at Klauer Campus.

Children on Campus - Care of Children
Parents must not bring children under 18 into University classrooms or leave children unattended while in class, participating in campus activities, or conducting business on campus. UNM-Taos may not be held liable for injury, illness, or for the expense thereof for children brought onto University property by parents who are attending classes, participating in campus activities, or conducting business on campus.

Restricted Activities
Individuals are prohibited from using roller skates, roller blades, or other wheeled vehicles (except those necessary to assist individuals with physical impairments) and/or motorized vehicles in pedestrian areas of the campus. All motorized and wheeled vehicles should be parked in designated areas of the parking lots. Anyone violating this policy is subject to disciplinary and/or legal action. Vehicles parked in unauthorized areas may be towed at the owner's expense.

Presence of Animals
Individuals are prohibited from bringing animals onto campus or into campus buildings (except for those animals necessary to assist with physical impairments.) Anyone violating this policy is subject to disciplinary and/or legal action.