ADN Application Process
Students can apply to the nursing program during an open application period in the semester preceding the start of a new cohort. The nursing program admits students in the fall semester of even-numbered years. The next cohort will be admitted in Fall 2018. Review the application period packet for specific dates, testing instructions and further detailed information.
The following must be completed by the application deadline:
- Apply to UNM-Taos if not a UNM-Taos student and complete enrollment process as a UNM-Taos student.
- Complete all prerequisite courses by the end of the spring semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Submit official transcripts for all previous course work from other colleges to UNM-Taos Student Services. Previous transcripts will be evaluated for possible transfer credit. Updated transcripts may need to be requested if additional courses taken after submitting prior transcripts.
- Submit a current complete UNM-Taos Nursing Program Application to the UNM-Taos Student Services department. Program application packets are available in the Nursing Department or on the website during the open application periods.
- Submit current TEAS score results to the Nursing Department through on-campus or off-campus testing.
- Complete all application requirements as stated in the current application packet instructions.
Enrollment in nursing courses (NURS prefix) is limited to those who have been accepted into the nursing program. Students may enroll in prerequisite courses prior to admission to the program. Taking prerequisite and/or health science courses that apply to the nursing curriculum does not guarantee acceptance to the program. A grade of 'C' or higher must be achieved in every required course. Note: All clinical credit hours are based on a ratio of 1:3 (one credit hour to three 50-minute clock hours)
Students who are accepted into the nursing program will be required to complete a criminal background screening as well as complete and maintain: CPR certification, physical examination, immunizations, student health insurance and travel arrangements to clinical sites.
ADN Program Selection Requirements
To be eligible for the nursing program selection process, the prospective student must have completed the following program requirements by the application deadline:
- Be enrolled as a UNM-Taos student.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses.
- Have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 in the prerequisite courses and a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.0. The GPA requirement must be fulfilled at the end of the spring semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Have taken the current version of the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) preadmission exam and obtained the minimum eligible score. Previous scores may not be eligible and students may be required to test during the designated open application testing periods. Refer to current application/testing instructions for eligible scores.
- Have submitted a complete nursing program application. A new application is required if reapplying.
- Have submitted all official transcripts.
- Completed all application requirements as stated in the current application packet instructions.